Tuesday 25 February 2014

Cluster headaches: NOT your ordinary headache

So, I've been diagnosed with cluster headaches.

Considering that this might be the most painful condition known to medical science, the word "headache" seems more of a misnomer.

It fails to convey the severity of the pain. I believe only those suffering from the condition have an idea of the pain experienced. The rest shrug it off as an exaggerated version of the common headache.

Although the name suggests that someone suffering from CH only has headaches, there are variety of symptoms accompanying the excruciating pain. This is due to pressure building up on the trigeminal nerve due to vasodilation. Although, the underlying cause for CH is still unknown to medical science.

Apart from the obvious headache, other symptoms associated with the condition are: swollen eye, lacrimation (tearing of the eye), phonophobia, photophobia, stuffy nose, confusion, depression and others.

Another feature of this condition is that it is strictly unilateral. The left side of my head, and face are affected. The right side has no effect.

I'm consulting a neurologist, and I'm having prophylactic medicine, along with painkillers to manage the pain, when needed.

The neurologist asked me to identify triggers. So far, I've identified three: stress (physical & mental), change in weather, change in sleep pattern.
Note that triggers may differ from person to person.

For those who are unfamiliar with the intensity of the pain, here's a video of Tom having an attack:



If you've seen the movie Pi (1998), you must remember Max having bouts of severe headache? 
Max had cluster headache. 

Remember him drilling a hole in his head? 
People who suffer from the condition can go to extreme lengths to get relief from the pain. Some have also committed suicide, thus giving the condition it's nickname, suicide headaches.

Why am I writing about this? Because it affects me, and has a far greater impact on my life than you may think. It affects work, my ability to think, affects me as a whole.

Recently, on twitter, I came across a few accounts dedicated to raising awareness about the condition.

You may follow them here:
 @drunkitty2000@PhilipBagLowe@ClusterHead@Clusterheads@ClusterHeadTom (from the video) 

I'll be updating this post with more twitter accounts, as I get to know more people. But, if you suffer from CH, you should definitely follow the above mentioned. (Hope they don't mind me mentioning them, here. Without consent.)

Anyways, to anyone with CH, my heart goes out to you. I wish you relief and comfort.

Also, share your experiences with CH in the comments below. Or, follow me on twitter. God bless. 

4 comments:

  1. My heart goes out for you, man. I suffer from sinusitis, which I find excruciatingly painful. And here you are, suffering from something a thousand times more painful. :\

    Shafaak Allahu wa aafaak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the support, brother. Hope your sinusitis gets better.
      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Woah! Never knew such a painful condition existed! My prayers are with you. Btw, had to ask, aren't there any medications to lower the effect?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm on a long-term course of prophylactic meds to bring down the frequency, and painkillers to be taken during an attack.

      Delete

For the Love of Books!

Considering that I have received a few requests for book recommendations, I am writing this list of books that I have grown to love. Fo...